Tuesday, December 24, 2013

VINYL CONVERT


Last week my lovely friend Ellie
sold me her 7" 45 rpm record player for the nifty
little price of £30.

For well over a year I have poured over vinyl in my
local Oxfam, where I used to volunteer/ spend my time flicking through
the latest vinyl deliveries instead of re-stocking shelves.

I'd pour through my Dad's pretty amazing record collection, which for
some reason he stores in the garage away from prying
eyes and fingers (aka. me) -The Rolling Stones, David Bowie, Bob Marley and more- and a nostalgic sigh would escape my mouth.

I don't know about you but I long to experience those days where
you had vinyl and all things vintage and retro...

I'd read NME and they'd talk about Record Store Day,
which occurs every April and raises awareness of vinyl and gives
a publicity boost to all those independent record stores
scattered across the country.


In NME I'd also read musicians and artists describe
their favourite vinyl tracks, and the feeling and sensation of listening
to and playing vinyl. The needle, the crackle, the side A, the side B.
And I wanted to experience it so bad.

Our own 78 rpm record player is apparently non functioning, according
to my dad, so when my friend told me she was selling hers,
I was all in mate.

For the last couple of years vinyl and records seem to be on
the rise. You only have to pop in to your local HMV to find a whole section dedicated to vinyl with many current artists 
such as Arctic Monkeys, The Vaccines, The XX et al not only
releasing new albums via CD, but also via vinyl too.

And oooooh IT'S SO EXCITING.

And now I can kind of take part, with my little 45rpm :)

Although of course, being raised in the technologic generation,
the record player and vinyl itself to to me
are nostalgic beauties that absolutely fascinate me.
I don't know how you could marvel at how an ipod works, because to me,
that's just technology and that's that.

But this, this is essentially a piece of plastic which somehow
has music in it, and if you put a needle on it and spin
it around, sound comes out of it, and the record player
itself may need to be plugged into the socket but still, I don't
understand how you can listen to music without
all that complicated technology.

And what's more, it also amazes me how all us technologic teens
are embracing vintage and retro going against
the grain, and clambering
to get our hands on the things our parents have long since discarded
as being old, whilst our parents have gone
stark raving technology loving mad!

Ahhhh....Life is so weird sometimes...

<3

(This is the first vinyl record I listened to,
'Could You Be Loved' by Bob Marley & The Wailers,
once I'd figured out how to work the thing)

Listen to it here :)





No comments:

Post a Comment